Pages

Iney Frank Quote

A bell is not a bell
until you ring it.
A song is not a song
until you sing it.

The love in your heart
was not put there to stay.
Love is not love
until you give it away.


- Unknown

Monday, March 5, 2012

Friday Night Lights

How often I think of home on Friday nights as I listen to neighbors walk, or stumble, home from bars and discos on Friday nights.  I have not been to either type of establishment since my arrival here.  Instead of the neon lights of beer signs, the light I see most often on Friday night it the single lightbuld of our pilla, or concrete wash basin.

While my friends back home are watching movies or enjoying cocktails or playing Rummi Cube, I am very often washing my clothes that I didn´t have time to wash during the week.

I spend lots of time in our washbasin.  It takes longer than you would think to wash towels and sheets by hand.  Enough time to help friendships grow and to make my arms tired.
Diana washing with St. Nic

One of our little friends who is 7 years old has helped me wash.  And i have helped her wash.  Her mother works all day and her grandmother is bedridden due to illness.  When her older cousin went to visit family for a week, Diana was left to wash the clothes.  When we learned this, we invited her to wash at our house so that we could help her with the work.  Walking with her one morning to our house I felt like I finally belonged.  I had her younger brother on my left hip and a bundle of wash in my right hand.  She trotted next to me balancing another bundle on her head as we descended the staircase alley from her house towards ours.

Diana is a bundle of joy.  She loves to come to our house and has more than once hidden beneath our staircase in the hope that we will not see her, wanting to stay the night.  She loves to help cook and wants to do so on top of the counter.  She loves to play.  Her favorite pastimes include asking me to guess which hand conceals a bulion cube ... a rubber ball ... a peice of gum ... for 30 minutes ... or an hour.

Recently we have gone with her a few times to the dentist to have some teeth pulled.  She is so brave.  Although she is full of fear, she lets the dentist work, with big tears streaming down her face.  As soon as it is over, she is proud of herself.  And everytime we meet her, she wants to show us little holes where her teeth used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment